If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process with all the Bureau of Indian Affairs and can build an online casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, you almost certainly run into people you know from Enid, partaking inside the recreation supplied by the casinos. These are the same people who have left our town and therefore are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping at the stores, eating with the restaurants, and staying on the hotels within the area.
A brief history:
The capability to run bingo games was one of the many concessions built to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person designed a bingo game that seemed like a video slot. We supply seen small digital bingo card in the top corner from the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos did start to spring up everywhere. After all, you're still playing bingo, just in a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between your tribes along with the State of Oklahoma allowed the application of Vegas style slots, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino could only be built within historic tribal boundaries and then placed inside a trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, could be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people following a Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground of the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive areas of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken up operate tribal governments and programs because of its citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes use the revenues to further improve infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are set up.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent from the visitors to casinos were thinking about also doing something aside from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions for example family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos supply a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who accustomed to travel outside of the area now stays within the spot.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is surely an accepted method for governments to boost funds. It is seen as an source of money that's easier to obtain since it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the next businesses showed an boost in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more regularly
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge about how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time allocated to useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go get more info bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase in the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is termed an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles often, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, in order that it takes more gambling and stakes, to find the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling illuminates the human brain the same way that cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, what might be your opinion? Do you think it will enhance our community or bring social problems organic beef not want to deal with?